Proof required for Income Tax Returns – Individuals

Following the conclusion of your tax year, documents will be issued to you that must be retained for tax purposes.

The following documents should, if applicable, be submitted to the accountant who completes your tax return and should be available if the South African Revenue Service (SARS) requests them:

1. IRP5 and IT3 certificates
IRP5 and IT3 certificates reflecting salary, annuities, pension and other income received.

2. Interest received – local and foreign
IT3 certificates reflecting the interest received for the year relating to savings accounts, cheque accounts, fixed deposits and other investments.

3. Dividends received – local and foreign
Details and/or proof of dividends received.

4. Bequests and donations received
Details and/or proof of bequests and donations received.

5. Capital gain or loss
The following information is required:

  • Was the asset your residential property?
  • Return on the sale of the asset.
  • Base cost of the asset, i.e. the purchase price if purchased after 1 October 2001, or a capital gain valuation of the asset.

6. Other income
Details and/or proof of other income (e.g. partnership income).

7. Medical fund contributions

  • Medical fund contribution certificate.
  • Proof of payment of claims not covered by your medical fund and paid by yourself.

8. Annuity fund contributions
Annuity fund contribution certificates.

9. Travel allowance
If you wish to claim expenses against your travel allowance, the logbook for the tax year is required, together with the following information concerning the vehicle for which you received the travel allowance:

  • Make and model
  • Year of manufacture
  • Purchase price
  • Registration number
  • Kilometre reading on the first day of the applicable tax year (being 1 March in the case of individuals)
  • Kilometre reading on the last day of the tax year (being 28 February of the following calendar year)

If you kept a record of travel costs incurred during the year, proof of the following is required:

  • Fuel and oil consumption
  • Repairs done
  • Insurance and licence fees
  • Lease/Instalment agreement

10. Income protector
Contribution certificates.

11. Donations
Proof of deductible donations.

12. Other information
Details of any other action or event that may influence your tax liability.

This article is a general information sheet and should not be used or relied upon as professional advice. No liability can be accepted for any errors or omissions nor for any loss or damage arising from reliance upon any information herein. Always contact your financial adviser for specific and detailed advice.  Errors and omissions excepted (E&OE)